RCMP say officers were fired upon within seconds of entering Tumbler Ridge school
By John White
The B.C. RCMP said officers were fired upon within seconds of entering Tumbler Ridge Secondary School during Tuesday’s mass shooting and said the suspect died shortly after police arrived.
Deputy Commissioner Dwayne McDonald, commanding officer of the B.C. RCMP, said responding officers encountered gunfire in a stairwell area moments after entering the school.
“I can say with confidence that from the moment officers entered, there was no further loss of life,” McDonald told reporters Friday.
Police said eight people were killed in the shootings, which unfolded at the school and at a nearby residence. Two surviving victims, identified by police as Maya and Paige, remain in hospital.
The RCMP said investigators continue to process two primary crime scenes: Tumbler Ridge Secondary School and a nearby home, along with a vehicle connected to the suspect.
Forensic Identification Services members are expected to remain at the school through the weekend. Police said autopsies on the eight victims and the suspect are also expected to be completed by the end of the weekend.

Investigators seized four firearms connected to the incidents, two from the school and two from the residence.
Police said a shotgun seized from the home is believed to have been used in the homicides at the residence and had never previously been seized by police. The RCMP also said the firearm believed to have been used in the mass shooting at the school had not previously been seized and its origin remains under investigation.
McDonald said determining how the firearms were obtained is a priority.
So far, more than 80 students, educators and first responders have been interviewed. Police said additional interviews are ongoing and are being conducted using trauma-informed principles. Multiple supports and services remain available to those affected.
The RCMP said digital and physical evidence is being collected and analyzed, including images and video from witnesses, CCTV footage and body-worn camera video from responding officers.
Police have also launched an online public submission portal to collect additional photos or video that may not yet have been shared with investigators. Witnesses are being asked to preserve relevant evidence and contact police.
A specialized investigative team is reviewing the suspect’s online activity and digital footprint, as well as any previous interactions with police or other agencies.
While public focus remains on honouring the victims, police said misinformation has circulated online. The RCMP said some posts have incorrectly identified an unrelated person with a similar name.
Police released a confirmed image of the suspect, identified as Jesse Van Rootselaar, and urged the public and media to rely on verified information.
McDonald acknowledged heightened concern in communities across the country following the shootings, saying police are reviewing any threats that may involve schools to ensure public safety.
The investigation is ongoing.
The post RCMP say officers were fired upon within seconds of entering Tumbler Ridge school appeared first on My North Bay Now.

John White John is the Director of News for Vista Radio. He has more than 30 years of experience in journalism, with an early eye cast to digital news innovations. He attends the Online News Association conference every year to learn about the cutting edge opportunities for his team to adopt and adapt.